This course takes students on a cinematography journey, from an introduction to the language of cinematography, understanding composition and angles, filming and lighting a scene, and concluding with camera and optics. Students will discover the art of storytelling, subtext, composition, and much more.
What will I learn?
- Define cinematography as a technical artform.
- Explain the role of the director of photography on a film production.
- Discover the origins of the discipline and the medium of cinematography.
- Understand the dual nature of cinematography as a technical art.
- Learn basic photography theory and apply it.
- Understand and apply colour theory.
- Understand and explain the interplay between cameras, lenses, and film.
- Describe different camera angles and when they are used.
- Define and apply the principles of continuity.
- Understand and explain cutting as it applies to a cinematographer.
- Explain the purpose of close-ups and when to use them.
- Understand and explain the importance of composition.
- Understand, measure, and manipulate light.
- Understand the language of film and apply it through shot design.
- Understand the scope of the art of cinematography as a medium for storytelling.
- Analyse a script and decide how it will be filmed.
- Create a shot list and storyboard and motivate your choices.
Tuition Fee: R 7 000