In the Higher Certificate in Animation and Visual Effects programme students acquire comprehensive skills in free hand drawing, 2D and 3D computer-generated graphics and animation using the industry’s most widely used software.
The curriculum provides an understanding of the systems and equipment used for creating animation and the practical experience required for production techniques and design concepts. Students gain comprehensive expertise of the contemporary ‘infotainment’ industry.
What will I learn?
- Foundational principles of Animation
- Drawing for animation
- Storyboarding: composing animated stories
- Tradigital hand-drawn animation
- Digital 2D & 3D Animation
- Concept art: character and environment design
- Visual Effects and Motions Graphics
- Business fundamentals of animation
How will the programme run?
- The theory part of the programme is online learning. (done by yourself from the comfort of home)
- When a module requires a practical component you have the opportunity to book studio time at a campus nearest to you, or alternatively make use of your own studio or a private industry studio.
- The Campuses are open in the evenings Tuesday – Thursday 4.30pm – 8pm, and Saturday from 9am – 3pm
- The practical modules require applied studio time of 2.5–3 hrs per week.
- Character Animator
- Character Designer
- Environment Artist
- Concept Artist
- Texture Artist
- Visual Effects Artist
- Storyboard Artist
Tuition Fee and Software Requirements:
Tuition Fee: R32 900
The following software will be required for the successful completion of the programme and needs to be acquired by the student. The software has an estimated cost of R14 500 per year and can be purchased directly from the supplier’s web portal.
- Toonboom Harmony 16 Prem
- Toonboom Storyboard Pro
- Adobe Creative Suite
When comparing our fees with other institutions, please use the Tuition Fee as the comparison, knowing that you will additionally require all the software to successfully complete this qualification. Software pricing could fluctuate due to changes in the exchange rate.