R38,900 per year
Bachelor of Arts in Game Design and Production allows candidates to dive deep into both the design and production aspects of gaming with a strong focus on the technology and creativity required in this industry. The programme is structured to provide a balance between developing the necessary skills needed to gain competence in game design, as well as being exposed to industry knowledge and theoretical practices in order to critically engage with the contemporary media environment and the gaming industry as a whole.
Students can expect to grow into creative contributors to the African and international gaming industries.
What will I learn?
- 2D Asset design creation for gaming
- 3D Asset design creation for gaming
- Understanding the origins and history of gaming
- Analysing the role of media in gaming
- Getting your game into the industry
- Research basics: critical engagement with gaming
- Scripting: coding for games
- Play testing and prototyping
- Game aesthetics and mechanics
- Creation of digital and analogue games
How will the programme run?
- The theory part of the programme is online learning (done by yourself from the comfort of home)
- When a module requires a practical component you have the opportunity to book studio time at a campus nearest to you, or alternatively make use of your own studio or a private industry studio.
- The Campuses are open in the evenings Tuesday – Thursday from 6pm – 9pm, and Saturday from 9am – 4pm.
- The practical modules require applied studio time of 2.5 – 3 hrs per week.
- Game Designer
- Game Developer
- Multimedia Designer
- VFX Artist
- Gaming Programmer
- Game Writer
Tuition Fee and Software Requirements:
Tuition Fee Per year:
- 1st Academic year: R38 900
- 2nd Academic year: R38 900
- 3rd Academic year: R38 900
When comparing our fees with other institutions, please use the Tuition Fee as the comparison, knowing that you will additionally require all the software to successfully complete this qualification. Software pricing could fluctuate due to changes in the exchange rate.